Clients will still need estate planning if the estate tax goes away. Help guide your clients through important considerations like: how to pass assets to the next generation in a fair way; how to provide education benefits to grandchildren; how to distribute retirement benefits thoughtfully; and/or how to provide a charitable legacy. Although the estate tax can affect all of these issues, they all remain without the estate tax. Estate planning has a renewed focus and practitioners who do not specialize in the estate area need to be familiar with the lingo, the acronyms and available techniques.
- Exemptions and exclusions
- Portability and step-up in basis
- Asset valuation
- Marital and charitable deductions
- Deductions: Transmission expenses and Administration expenses (706 or 1041)
- Income in respect of a decedent and retirement plan assets
- Life insurance and annuities
- Trust or estate administration
- Trust funding
- Identify estate planning issues including latest developments, definitions and document analysis.
- Determine whether an estate tax return should be filed to elect portability.
- Select applicable planning techniques so your clients' beneficiaries maximize after-tax assets.
- Recognize issues that necessitate changes to an existing plan.
CPAs and other financial planners who advise clients on investments, and staff who need an estate planning overview.
General knowledge of individual income tax planning and issues.
Vendor:CalCPA Education Foundation
Member/Nonmember Fees:245 / 375
CPE:Taxes 8.0 hour(s)
Yellow Book Credit:No
Mary Kay A. Foss, CPA
California CPA Education Foundation
Cancellation or transfer requests made six(6) business days or more prior to the program, no fee assessed.
Cancellation or transfer requests made two(2) to five(5) business days prior to the program, $25 fee assessed.
Cancellation or transfer requests made one business day prior to the program, $50 fee assessed.
Day of program or no notice of cancellation, 100 percent course fee assessed.
If you transfer from an in-person class course to a webcast, the above policies apply.
Remember, the COCPA reserves the right to cancel a course seven days prior to the program date. Please keep this cancellation policy in mind when making your travel plans and airline reservations. The COCPA will not be liable for flight cancellation penalties due to our cancellation.
To cancel or transfer a course, please contact the Member Services department at 303-773-2877 or 800-523-9082.