IRS Appeals is often the best place to resolve a tax dispute, but Appeals has been undergoing massive institutional changes in the past few years. Appeals can review almost all examination and collection determinations. A practitioner should not handle a complicated examination or collection matter without a thorough understanding of how Appeals operates. This is especially true with the recent changes in the way Appeals handles cases. This course will review the Appeals process and strategies that will allow practitioners to competently represent a client before the IRS. State tax appeals will also be discussed and compared.
- Preparing the case for an appeal.
- Best practices and strategies for handling appeals.
- Alternate dispute resolution options before and after the appeal.
- Appeals of collection and penalty determinations.
- Understanding state appeals for income, sales and employment taxes.
- Recognize when IRS and state tax administrative appeal rights arise.
- Determine differences between IRS and state tax appeals.
- Identify strategies for using appeal and alternate dispute resolution options.
- Understand the new Appeals procedures to become comfortable handling an appeal.
- Determine how to coordinate appeals with potential litigation.
Practitioners familiar with the examination or collection process who need to know how to handle an IRS or state tax appeal.
Basic knowledge of dealing with tax authorities.
Vendor:CalCPA Education Foundation
Member/Nonmember Fees:245 / 375
CPE:Taxes 8 hour(s)
Yellow Book Credit:No
Steven R. Mather
California CPA Education Foundation
Cancellation or transfer requests made six(6) business days or more prior to the program, no fee assessed.
Cancellation or transfer requests made two(2) to five(5) business days prior to the program, $25 fee assessed.
Cancellation or transfer requests made one business day prior to the program, $50 fee assessed.
Day of program or no notice of cancellation, 100 percent course fee assessed.
If you transfer from an in-person class course to a webcast, the above policies apply.
Remember, the COCPA reserves the right to cancel a course seven days prior to the program date. Please keep this cancellation policy in mind when making your travel plans and airline reservations. The COCPA will not be liable for flight cancellation penalties due to our cancellation.
To cancel or transfer a course, please contact the Member Services department at 303-773-2877 or 800-523-9082.