Managing employment law compliance is a major component of human resources. Yet human resources professionals understandably find that the number of legal issues they need to be aware of can be overwhelming. This concentrated program offers an overview of the complex legal issues associated with day to day employment decisions and actions.
This class provides current information on legislation, court decisions, and enforcement procedures that affect the employment relationships.
Topics will include:
1. Introduction and cover objectives of training: Employment law overview, how to identify potential risks/issue spot, know when to seek assistance from HR/attorneys, and how to operate within the legal boundaries
2. Pre-employment: interviews, medical inquiries, drug testing
3. Introduction to the doctrine of employment at will and the many exceptions to at-will employment
4. Types of employment law claims against employers: common law claims, contract claims, public policy violations, torts
5. The law of discrimination (CO and federal)
6. The duty to accommodate employees (religion/disability)
7. Hostile work environment claims
8. Retaliation claims
9. Potential defenses to employment claims
10. Employee medical issues: workers’ compensation, the ADA, and FMLA (with special comment about employee use of alcohol and drugs)
11. Wage and hour laws: the FLSA and Colorado COMPS Order (minimum wage, overtime, breaks and meal periods, and exemptions)
Professionals looking for an update on legal issues in the workplace.