Review options for structuring the sale of a business, from both buyer’s and seller’s perspectives with the aim of minimizing tax cost. Attendees will consider the sale of C corps, S corps and partnerships. This course covers topics not routinely considered in a tax compliance practice, but important to the sale of a business.
• Recognize tax planning opportunities for selling a business.
• Identify the tax consequences of using employment and consulting agreements, covenants not to compete, personal goodwill and contingent sales price.
• Recall how to treat acquired intangibles (IRC 197).
• Identify the basics of Section 754 and Section 338 elections.
• Determine how to best transfer ownership to employees.
• Taxable asset sales, sale of stock of the corporation and stock redemptions
• Comparison of tax consequences of C corps, S corps and partnerships
• Tax treatment of transaction costs of acquired intangibles, IRC 197
• Seller consulting and employment agreements
• Installment sales
• Employee stock ownership plan
• Tax-deferred acquisitive corporate reorganizations
• Net operating losses and tax credits of acquired corporate business
• Sec. 1202; Stock Section 1244; the basics of stock Section 754 elections; and Sec. 338 and 338(h)(10) elections
CPAs, financial professionals and attorneys.
An understanding of the taxation of individuals, corporations, S corps and partnerships.
This webinar is produced by AICPA. You will receive your login link/instructions and Certificate of Attendance directly from this third-party vendor. It is important that you review your COCPA confirmation for details on receiving your login instructions and COA from said vendor.