For tax-exempt organizations, it is not about calculating income tax. It is about showing to the IRS at inception and annually that the organization is entitled to be classified as a tax-exempt organization because of its purpose as reflected in its management and activities. Exempt organizations have unique tax rules and special forms. The IRS is especially sensitive to abuses of exempt status. From fundamentals needed to obtain an exemption and to prepare Form 990, this program teaches what the informed accounting and finance professionals in public practice and inside a tax-exempt organization must.
• Understand special filing requirements of exempt entities
• Distinguish between charitable and other not-for-profit entities
• Recognize unrelated business income
• Prepare Form 1023, 1023-EZ, or 1024 and related schedules
• Prepare Form 990, 990-EZ, and 990-N and related schedules
• Be aware of traps and pitfalls that can lead to penalties or loss of exempt status
• What is an exempt organization?
• The importance of knowing the organization’s purpose
• The special status of charitable organizations
• When and how to apply for exempt status
• Notice requirement for new 501(c)(4) organizations
• Which organizations are required to file a Form 990?
• Unrelated business taxable income—the fundamentals
• Statutory exclusions under IRC Secs 512, 513, and 514
• In-depth analysis of Form 990, Form 990-EZ, and 990-N, and public disclosure requirements
• Fundraising disclosure requirements of non-charitable exempt organizations
• IRS’s expectation for management of the organization
• Introductions to private inurement and intermediate sanctions
Accounting and financial professionals that have any involvement with tax-exempt organizations and preparation of Forms 1023, 1023-EZ, 1024, 990, 990-EZ, and 990-N. May also be suitable for public practice.
This webinar is produced by AICPA. You will receive your login link/instructions and Certificate of Attendance directly from this third-party vendor. It is important that you review your COCPA confirmation for details on receiving your login instructions and COA from said vendor.